Let’s be real honest for a second…the topping on any sort of crisp is entirely where it’s at. Don’t even start to try and convince me that the filling is what keeps you coming back for more, it’s not, it’s those damn adorable clusters that are addictive in the way that granola is.
Basically clusters are like tiny pieces of broken apart oatmeal cookie, transformed to make us think they are something entirely different, but they aren’t…they are pretty much just crumbled cookies pretending to wear a different hat and make us feel slightly less guilty when we purposefully load our crisp filling with an abundance of crunchy, but still slightly chewy clusters. I’m honestly getting hungry just thinking about it.
Anyway, now that we are all on the same page that clusters are the game changer in a good apple crisp, let me introduce you to this beauty below.
Here’s the thing, gluten-free baked goods in general have a bad reputation, and honestly for pretty good reason too. Baking gluten-free is not easy, but I have found that working with certified gluten-free oats, oat flour, and almond flour can most of the time lead me to a recipe that is actually worthy of sharing with the non-gluten free population…this recipe is one that I will absolutely be sharing.
What I love most about this apple crisp recipe in-particular is that it is super easy to make. This is the type of recipe that can be made in one bowl, and can be whipped up and placed in the oven in under 5 minutes. It is also refined sugar free, dairy free, and gluten-free…so it’s basically like eating a big pan of kale right? It’s at least somewhere in the same ball park 🙂
THANKSGIVING WORTHY GLUTEN FREE & VEGAN APPLE CRISP
Apple Crisp Filling Ingredients
- 4 (medium to large size) apples
- 1 Tb Corn Starch
- 1 Tsp Honey
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Cups Gluten Free Oatmeal
- 1 Cup Gluten Free Oat Flour
- 1/3 Cup Almond Meal
- 2 TB Coconut Oil
- 2 TB Vegan Butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 Tb Cinnamon
- 1/3 Cup Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9×9 inch baking pan with nonstick spray (I love trader joes coconut oil cooking spray)
- Core apples and chop into slices, then chop slices in half.
- Combine chopped apples with honey, cornstarch, and cinnamon and add to greased pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine all topping ingredients and mix with a fork or spoon until clusters begin to form.
- Spread topping mixture on top of apples, being sure to cover apples entirely.
- Place in oven for roughly 45-50 minutes, or until the apples are beginning to bubble and the topping is a nice golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Serve with vegan coconut vanilla ice cream and enjoy!